These muffins will be a great hit at your next special event. The tart glaze really adds a sweet twist.
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 1/4 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
- 2 TBS lemon juice
- 1 cup blueberries
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 400°. Combine flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, slat and nutmeg in a medium bowl.
Cut in butter with a pastry blender or 2 fork until mixture resembles coarse meal.
Combine buttermilk, egg, lemon juice and rind; stir well with a whisk.
Add to flour mixture; stir just until moist. Gently fold in blueberries.
- Spoon batter into 12 muffin cups greased and sprinkled with sugar or if you use liners make sure to spray your liners with cooking spray. Bake at 400° for 15-18 minutes or until the muffins spring back when lightly touched. Remove muffins from pans immediately, and place on a wire rack to cool.
- Combine lemon juice and powdered sugar in a small bowl. Drizzle glaze evenly over cooled muffins.