Pages

Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Chinese Low Mein


One very strong memory that I have of growing up is eating at Chinese restaurants.  If my mom and I were ever on a mommy-daughter date, this is were we would always end up.  So, any time I make this recipe it takes me right back to my childhood.  This lo mein recipe is the closest thing I have found to what I was use to eating as a youngster.  
Do not let it intimidate you.  It is actually really easy and does not take much time.  When I first started doing this I would always plan for too much time and we would end up eating dinner a little too early.  I hope you enjoy it as much as my family has.


Ingredients
2 packages of soft Chinese noodles 
1 large onion, chopped coarsely
1 pound of meat, cubed
2/3 cup carrots, shredded
3 celery sticks, cut diagonally
1 cup snow pea pods
1/3 cup peas
1/2 cup chicken broth
1 head of cabbage, shredded
1 bottle of stir fry sauce
vegetable oil


Step 1
In a 3 quart pot, bring water and 1 TBS bouillon to a boil.  Put in the noodles and boil for four minutes.  Then drain.


Step 2
In a stir fry pan heat 1 TBS of oil.  When the oil is hot, stir fry the noodles for a couple of minutes and then add 2 TBS of stir fry sauce.  Fry for another minute.  In a large bowl empty your noodles. (It will need to be big enough to fit all of the food.  I cover my bowl with a towel to keep heat in while I am cooking the rest of the vegetables and meat).


Step 3
Add another TBS of oil to your wok.  When the oil is hot, stir fry the chicken until it is almost all white.  Then add your onion, carrots, snow pea pods and celery.  Cook until meat is done.  Then add 1/4 cup of broth and 3 TBS of stir fry sauce.  Empty your meat and vegetables into the noodles and stir.


Step 4
Stir fry cabbage in another 1 TBS of oil until cabbage has wilted, about 4 minutes.  Then add the peas, 1/4 cup of broth and 3 TBS of stir fry sauce.  Stir fry for another minute.  Add to noodle mixture.


Add the rest of the stir fry sauce and stir well. 

No comments:

Post a Comment