Pages

Thursday, May 26, 2011

Homemade Wheat Bread


There is something about homemade bread that makes me feel young again.  It reminds me so much of my childhood.  I remember watching my mom bake early in the mornings.  She taught me almost everything I know about baking and cooking.    She is a wonderful teacher and has always been a great example to me!   

It has been about three months since I bought bread from a store.  I love knowing that I am getting all healthy ingredients with no preservatives.  I have tried several recipes and this is my favorite so far.  It is soft and holds together great.  I put some white flour in it but you can definitely do all wheat!  If you are scared to try it don't be, who can resist the smell of the house when fresh baked bread is in the oven. 

Whole Wheat Bread (Makes 5 loaves.  Bake 350 degrees for 30-35 min.)

Into your mixer, put :
5 cups warm water
1/2 cup honey
1 Tbls. liquid Lecithin (avoid getting on hands) You can just pour it from the bottle.  Lecithin can be found at your local health food store.
1 cup powdered milk
1/3 cup gluten 
Turn mixer on and off several times till mixed up a little 
Then add:
6 cups whole wheat flour 
2 Tbls. instant yeast 
Mix well
Let sit for 20-30 min. until a nice sponge has developed
Then, add:
1/2 cup oil
2 Tbls. salt
6 more cups of flour (4c. wheat and 2c. white)
Mix until mixture pulls away from bowl (about 7 min.).  It should
be slightly sticky
Grease large bowl and put dough into it, turning over once to coat.
Cover  with towel and let raise for 1-1 1/2 hrs.    Punch down and
divide into 5 loaves. 
To roll out bread: Lightly grease counter top. Stretch dough lightly
and roll out lengthwise.  Roll up tight, tuck ends under.  Place in
greased pan upside down, then turn right side up.  Cover with towel 
and raise for 1 to 1 1/2 hrs. (1" above pans) then bake until nicely
browned on middle rack.  Cool on racks (I butter the tops of bread
while hot.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment