Pages

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

Homemade Hot Fudge Sauce



This time of year I always try to motivate to eat healthier.  I think it is because I am getting into canning season and I love getting all of the fresh veggies out of my garden.  
I am trying really hard to get back into making things from scratch.  I have been reading a lot of books and articles lately about the foods we eat.  They are full of chemicals and preservatives that are so harmful to our bodies.  My family is far from the healthiest eaters but I am trying to do better. Here is one of my latest from scratch attempts.  It turned out really well and I think I will not go back to store bought hot fudge again.

Hot Fudge Sauce

1/2 cup of butter (1 cube)
1 cup of good quality semisweet chocolate chips ( I used Ghiradelli)
1 (12 ounce) can of evaporated milk
2 cups of powdered sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla (optional)
In a double boiler over medium melt the butter and chocolate chips, whisking constantly until combined.  Whisk in the evaporated milk and powdered sugar and bring to a boil, stirring often, for 8 minutes.
Remove from heat and add vanilla if desired.  Store in a glass container in the refrigerator.   Keeps for several weeks.
Here’s the step by step:

Add the chocolate chips and butter into your double boiler.


When the butter and chocolate chips are melted and combined, stir in the evaporated milk…


and then whisk in the powdered sugar.


Bring it all to a boil over medium to medium-high heat and cook for 8 minutes, stirring often.  The sauce will start to thicken.  Remove from the heat and add vanilla if desired.


My mason jar and twine is waiting.  


Pour into your mason jars and allow to cool before putting on the lids.


While the chocolate is cooling, cut the fabric with scissors.  I cut a 8 inch circle.


Tie it on with a bit of twine… and you have a delicious treat!  Add a tag and it is a wonderful gift!

1 comment: