Pages

Sunday, July 17, 2011

Dutch Oven Breakfast Hash

Dan and I went camping with the kids a few months ago and we made this for breakfast one morning.  I did not take a picture to show you, but it was one of the best camping breakfast either of us had.  

1 pound bacon
1 pound sausage or cubed ham
2 packages (20-24 oz.) of frozen southern-style hash browns
8 ounces of sour cream
4 eggs, beaten
grated cheddar cheese

Brown the bacon and sausage in the dutch oven.  If you use ham do not add until the bacon is cooked.  Once your meat is cooked through, add the hash browns.  (Do not drain the grease from your meat.  The potatoes will  soak up the oil and use it to brown.  Cover your dutch oven and bake for 20-25 minutes.  You will want about 10 coals on the bottom and 15 coals on top.  

In a separate bowl, combine the sour cream and beaten eggs.  Pour over the hash browns five minutes before they are done.  Recover and let cook until the eggs are cooked through.  When they are done, remove the lid and sprinkle with the cheese.  Replace the lid until the cheese melts

1 comment:

  1. Hi Jen! You have such a lovely blog! The photos are incredible and you have such an artistic flair. I'm so unbelievably super impressed! My cell is kaput, so if you want to go to Zumba anytime, count me in! Home # is 801 766 9504. I've missed a few of your calls and it's due to my phone not working. I would've so gone to work out anytime. Sorry this is a blog comment- I should just drop by, but I wanted you to see this asap! -t

    ReplyDelete